Wednesday, September 27, 2006


Hi,

I'm happy to say that the army is now fully painted and that all of the figures have been glued onto mounting card bases ready to be textured & flocked before getting a coat of varnish.
I'll talk about basing in a bit, but first off I'm happy to say that my regular wargaming group, Kirklees Crusaders, has managed to recruit a new member (we are now 4). Rupert, one of my fellow Crusaders, ran a Russian Civil War participation skirmish game in the upstairs room of a pub in Huddersfield last Sunday. Rupert provided all of the figures as well as scratchbuilding some fantastic terrain. We used the "A good day to die" skirmish rules, which worked surprisingly well - I'd previously thought of them as a rule set exclusively for "Old West"gaming. The game was well attended and very well received, and is certainly something we'll be looking to do some more of in the near future.. Anyway, one of the guys taking part had just moved to Huddersfield to study and I discovered that he lived in the student village which is very close to where I live. After the game I offered him a lift home and during the trip we spoke about wargaming and I discovered that although he currently played Games Workshop's 40k he was interested in trying out the Ancient/Mediaeval period. I told him a bit about DBA and invited him along to our next gaming session the following night. After a couple of games he decided he would like to get himself an army. He went off armed with an Essex catalogue, a desire to buy some New Kingdom Egyptians, and my old copy (V1.1) of the DBA Rules to familiarise himself with troop types, basic rules etc..
Anyway, back to basing! I use Tetrion supersmooth flexible woodfiller to texture my bases. It's cheap, costing a couple of pounds for a mid sized pot which is enough to do the bases for literally hundreds of elements, it's quick drying, hardwearing and it gives bases a great texture which look really effective with a minimum of effort - a basecoat, ink wash and drybrush are all that's needed. It also has the added advantage of not warping mounting card bases which was a problem I used to encounter when using PVA glue and sand. The only drawback I can think of is that using Woodfiller can initially be a bit frustrating - My first few attempts were not great; I found it tricky to apply without getting it all over my figures. I now use a cocktail stick and a old small flat-headed screwdriver to apply/sculpt it. It's worth persevering with.. For armies from non arid regions I paint my bases with Miniature Paints Earth Brown, followed by a thin wash of Citadel Brown ink and finished off with a quick drybrush of the Earth brown lightened with Citadel's Bleached Bone. Once this is dry I put on a few spots of PVA glue and sprinkle on some Javis static grass. I'll post pics of the finished bases and the banners as soon as these are finished.

bye for now..
Bob Mcleish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home