Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hi,

Thanks for dropping by & welcome to my blog.
It's the 1st time I've attempted anything like this so please bear with me.

My initial plan is to record my progress as I put together a wargames army for the DBA rules system; from selecting and buying the army, through to fielding the fully assembled & painted force.
I'm hoping that this project might be of some interest to established wargamers as well as giving potential newcomers to ancient/mediaeval wargaming an insight into what exactly the hobby involves.
The main motivation for this project stems from a long-held view of mine (no doubt shared by many other wargamers) that historical wargaming is often perceived as an impenetrable, obscure hobby with deliberately complex and, lets face it, unattractive looking rulebooks - I can still remember reading WRG's 6th edition rules for the umpteenth time and thinking "what the $&*%..?" My introduction to DBA almost 15 years ago was equally inauspicious but considerably less traumatic - coming from a gaming background of slickly produced RPGs and Games Workshop I remember skimming through the thin, card covered rulebook with some trepidation thinking "where are the photographs of beautifully painted miniatures?", "where are the reminder texts and illustrated examples covering every possible eventuality?" - I was, to say the least, distinctly underwhelmed and only agreed to play because I had an hour or so to wait for my bus. I looked sceptical as Gordon Yacomine produced 2 ugly-looking (compared to Games Workshop's 28mm miniatures) 15mm armies from a tiny box, but over the next hour my perception of wargames was changed for ever.
Things have improved considerably since then but I think there is still more that can be done to encourage people to participate in a hobby I love, playing a game that I love!
Chris Brantley made a comment recently on his brilliant website www.fanaticus.org, which is devoted to all aspects of DBA, that he felt it would be fun to see someone start a blog charting the progress of a DBA army - well, here we are......

1 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your paint job looks nice , but you didn't do the research . The peasant soldiers who made up the vast majority of the "Greater Army" of Wallachia wore White. The standard "costume" of peasant sheep herders for this part of Europe from Dacian times to the 19th. Century consisted of a baggy white shirt of undyed wool , white trousers, and even white footwear, called Opichni , which wre strips of cloth wrapped around the lower legs, ankles and feet . The only color in their clothes would have been the fur cap of brown or grey. The army museum in Bucharest has numerous depictions of these bow armed peasants - I recommend a visit. The Boyars ( a tiny minority in the army ) wore colorful patterned robes , as did the Voynuk halberdiers. But most of the army was clad all in white.If you are serious about your army you really should use this color scheme. Plus it looks great on table - masses of white clad hordes and bows and a few elements of more colorful Boyar cavalry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home